Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:42:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Asit Chakraborty <ACHAKRAB@us.oracle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java availability on freeBSD

On 15 Apr 1997, Asit Chakraborty wrote:

> Has Java been ported to freeBSD? If yes, what version and how can I have
> access it.
>
> I am interested in Java 1.0.2 release. How much is the effort in porting
> Java on freeBSD platform? What about porting Java green thread?

The 1.02 JDK is available for FreeBSD.  I have instructions on fetching &
installing it, but that's all I know.  That's about all I know about Java,
too. :)

Installing JDK 1.02

1.  Fetch ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/incoming/jdk102.11-26.tar.gz
2.  Extract in location of your choice.
3.  Install the pdksh package, if ksh isn't already installed.
4.  Add /path/to/jdk/bin to your PATH
4.  Add the following environment variables:
	CLASSPATH   		/path/to/jdk/classes.zip:.
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH		/path/to/jdk/lib/i386

Rehash and have fun programming...