Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:50:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Harshbarger <mharsh@fsr.com>
To:        Stuart Tanner <stuart@sigterm.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ping: no buffer space available

I had a similar problem 4(?) years ago when I tried to use 3c509B ethernet
cards in a router/gateway box I built. The ethernet interface would just
hang every so often and stop passing traffic. My solution was to

	ifconfig ep0 down; ifconfig ep0 up

every time it hung until I got them replaced. Something about the 3com
drivers in that particular version of FreeBSD not completely supporting
the "B" revision 3com cards. I moved to a different brand card and my
problems vanished.

If this trick starts your ethernet traffic up again, I'd suggest looking
into buying a different brand ethernet card that might be better supported
by FreeBSD. Just remember to replace "ep0" above with whatever ethernet
device you're using (check "ifconfig -a").