Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:41:31 -0400
From:      "Jim Stapleton" <stapleton.41@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's so compelling about FreeBSD?

> I have a few FreeBSD machine from 4.x to 5.x. I have asked people how to
> upgrade them to latest version 6.x cleanly. All I was told is that I
> need to wipe them out and reinstall. However, this is not the case with
> Gentoo Linux. With Gentoo, version release does not matter that much,
> you can always keep your system up to date if you like. Of cause, you
> can also choose staying at a certain version.

I'm gonna join the "whoever said this was on crack" club. Going
between major versions can be a challange due to mergebastard and the
various config file change, but Gentoo's setup is really no different
in that respect.

However, when you want to compile the Kernel, the FreeBSD system is
much mroe useful than that of Gentoo. I failed my first kernel build
on FreeBSD (custom kernel config) before it booted properly, and have
since done several more without issue.

With Gentoo, after about half a dozen attempts at optimizing my kernel
for my notebook, I gave up and used Genkernel, which was not as
efficient, but at least worked.

> Linux supports more devices than FreeBSD, especially new devices.

Spend an extra 5 minutes researching your hardware before buying, more
often than not, this'll save you the issues.