Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 10:51:25 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Gilad Rom <rom_glsa@ein-hashofet.co.il>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Subject:   Re: bt878 based card.

Hi Gilad and Randall.

> Its a LifeView FlyVideo card, and I was wondering if I
> could somehow make it work under freebsd.

No problem. We should be able to get this card working very well.

> I have added the following lines to my kernel:
> (4.0-CURRENT, as of two weeks ago)

> controller smbus0
> controller iicbus0
> controller iicbb0
>
> device ic0 at iicbus?
> device iic0 at iicbus?
> device iicsmb0 at iicbus?
> device bktr0

That is ok. Actually you do not need the device ic0, device iic0, or
device iicsmb0 entries for the bt848 card.

> bktr0: <BrookTree 878> at device 4.0 on pci0
> bktr0: interrupting at irq 11
> Warning - card vendor    0 unknown. This can cause poor performance

Ok, what this means is that IMS have not followed all of the
bt878 design guidelines which allow my part of the bt848 driver
to determine the card make and model.
The problem with bt848 based cards is that you know you have
a bt848 chip, but you do not know the manufacturer of the card
eg IMS, Fly, Hauppauge, AverMedia, etc.

On Bt878s there is an additional register which allows the card
manufacturer to store their manufacturer ID too, thus allowing
the driver to determine if this is a Hauppauge Bt878 card
or a FlyVideo Bt878 card or an AverMedia one etc. etc.

The warning means that your card does not store this additional
vendor ID (called the sub-system vendor ID).

So, we need to do a few steps to support your card.

Firstly, can you run
"fxtv -debug startup"

and email me the output.

> Ive generated /dev/bktr0 using /dev/MAKEDEV, but whenever I try to
> use fxtv, it says /dev/bktr0 isnt configured.

This is strange. Even though the card is identified incorrectly,
fxtv should start. You sould be able to get video from a VCR
or cam-corder. You may have problems with the Tuner.

Randall suggested you had the wrong major/minor number in /dev

You could also check the permissions.
I'm sure when I tried my -current machine the other day, fxtv failed
too,
but running fxtv as ROOT worked fine.
I re-did sh MAKEDEV bktr and it all worked again.
Strange.

Bye
Roger