Date:      Wed, 06 May 2009 20:56:55 -0400
From:      "Andrew J. Caines" <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keeping Updated

Paul,

> I guess I'm kinda wondering the "condensed quick version" of what
> people are typically doing to keep their system updated from source
> without making life difficult ;)

In addition to the reference already given, there is a concise
description under "COMMON ITEMS" near the end of src/UPDATING, with
header "To rebuild everything and install it on the current system".

I note what might be a missed correction where it says "make kernel" as
opposed to "make buildkernel".

I do it the wrong way, which has always worked perfectly for me for many
years using

http://halplant.com:2001/software/FreeBSD/scripts/update_fbsd

to fetch sources, build world and kernel while in multi-user, run from
cron. When I'm ready to install, I shutdown and run

http://halplant.com:2001/software/FreeBSD/scripts/install_fbsd

This is wrong because I don't boot the new kernel before installing the
new world.

--
-Andrew J. Caines-   Unix Systems Engineer   A.J.Caines@halplant.com
FreeBSD/Linux/Solaris, Web/Mail/Proxy/...   http://halplant.com:2001/