Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 1996 11:03:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        John McNamee <jpm@microwiz.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User vs. Kernel PPP

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, John McNamee wrote:

> I've Read The Fine Manual and searched the mail archives for this, but I can't
> find an explanation of the tradeoffs between user and kernel mode PPP in 2.1R.
>
> I'm running kernel PPP now, because I had to blindly pick one and I assumed
> that a kernel implementation would be more efficient.  I'd like to get some
> real information to either confirm that choice or give me a reason to switch.

I believe you're correct.  User Mode PPP (aka ijppp) is easier to get
going since it works like a shell and has nice script debugging
features.  'set debug chat' makes it really easy to find that stupid
mistake in your login script :-)  Plus, you can get stats and even log in
manually.

But kernel mode is more efficient.

> My primary use of PPP is supporting async dialup users.  I connect to the
> Internet with an Ascend Pipeline router, so "outbound" PPP features like dial
> on demand don't matter in my environment.  Having said that, I'm sure that
> future users who search the mail archives would appreciate replies that cover
> both sides.

I think the concensus here is that kernel mode would be better, but there
has been some discussions on setting up ijppp for serving.