Date:      Tue, 09 Feb 1999 05:27:17 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        "Darren Farrish" <darren@auto-net.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: HELP!!!!

[Reformatted for legibility.  Please get a decent mailer or
learn how to use the return key.  It's impolite to send out
email with a line that's 378 characters long.]

> We are a small ISP in NW Arkansas, at one of our customers
> sites we have installed a FreeBSD server as their firewall,
> www proxy and mail server. As you can see from the attachment
> below we made a mistake and gave them the root password. Do
> you have any suggestions on recovering the root password short
> of re-installing the system. Any assistance will be greatly
> appreciated.

First, it's really outrageous that you sent your customer's
private email to thousands of people around the world with all
the identifying material on it -- you don't deserve to have
customers if that's how you treat them.

As for the problem, tell them to reboot the machine, stop it in
single user mode (read the boot(8) man page if you don't know
how), and set the root passwd.  Then they can exit the single
user shell and the system will come up multi-user and all is
well.  If you're claiming to provide services as an ISP and you
don't already know all this, then I really hope that you don't
accept money from your customers because you're certainly not
qualified to be charging them.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>