Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 17:36:38 -0700
From:      User CsingerChris Singer <csinger@workfire.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Why won't my sound work.

I am having trouble getting the audio software that I installed
working.  Whenever I try to run a program like "mpg123 or mixer" I get
an arror like this:     mixer: /dev/mixer: No such file or directory
or     Could not open /dev/dsp.   Could you explain to me what is
happening and what I have to do to fix it.  Why do I need these devices
and where can I get them, and most importantly why do I need them?
Thank you for your help.

Chris Singer