Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:22:19 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Sean Bryant <sean@cyberwang.net>
Cc:        freebsdfree.linuxsir@alpha.blogger.com, Kip Macy <kip.macy@gmail.com>, Nikolas@freebsd.org, Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Don't buy AMD products (was Re: Xorg and ATI card query.)

Sean Bryant wrote:

> Andrew Reilly wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:17:00 -0800 (PST)
>> Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com> wrote:
>>

>>> One thing that is a plus with nv is that X has some support for it,
>>> whereas, the newer ati cards have no support :-(  I was a fan of ati
>>> since it was easier to get support.  Now I'm starting to lean
>>> towards Nvidia :-(
>>>

>> Does anyone know if there are *any* contemporary graphics cards
>> that have 3D acceleration supported by some flavour of
>> open-source x.org?  Doesn't have to be a super-fast 'leet gamer
>> system to be better than a non-accelerated frame buffer.
>>
>> Matrox used to have a reputation for goodness (I used to have a
>> G400 or the like), but it's been a long time...
>>
>> (I'm currently using a lowish-end NVidia card under the x.org nv
>> driver, but it has issues (of which no 3D accel is but one...)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

> Try the 'vesa' xorg driver. It may not be fancy or all that
> accelerated but it works quite well. I have an nvidia card and cannot
> get it to work for the life of me. the drive attached, but nothing
> happens after that. It might be the fact that I have a PCI express
> card. But the vesa driver is working just fine for me.

I had a PCI-X nvidia card that I couldn't get to work, neither with the
nvidia nor the nv driver.  But it turned out to be a flaw in the
motherboard BIOS.  Updating the motherboard BIOS (which was an intel
server board) fixed the problem for me.  Maybe you have a similar
problem, or maybe not.

Stephen