Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:52:04 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: you're not going to believe this.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 07:52:27AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 09:31:06AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >
> > today we have huge flash disks for really cheap, but still don't
> > have native flash filesystem in any OS, be it FreeBSD or windoze or
> > mac os x or whatever.
> >
> > This flash chips have to emulate hard drive, which slows them down
> > manyfold
>

> 	so is there any best guess regarding what timeframe a filesystem
> 	for freebsd might exist?  on the you-tube demo they were using
> 	[i think] XP.

Don't worry about it. Buy your SSD (Solid state Storage Device) and
mount with the noatime option. Don't let someone scare you away from the
99.8% solution waiting for the 99.9% solution.

As for "emulating a hard drive", its only slow relative to potential
FLASH speeds. Its fast relative to hard drive speeds. Writing may not be
as fast as a "real" HD, YMMV.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net