Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:58:41 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Chris Angell <chris62vw@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Chris Angell wrote:

> I have tried everything to get my DNS working right.  For some reason telnet
> and ftp won't resolve host names, I think because my computer won't do
> reverse mapping for DNS.  Ping, Traceroute, and other utilities like
> nslookup work fine, but I don't think they do reverse mapping.

	Yes, it is not doing reverse for those zones.  Are the
	in-addr.arpa zones in your named.conf file?

> I have named running on my system, but the problem persists even if I turn
> it off and use other name servers, like my ISP's name server.

	Your /etc/resolv.conf file should be setup to use your local
	nameserver, not your upstreams.  Which means it should look
	something like this:

	  # cat /etc/resolv.conf
	  domain somedomain.com
	  nameserver 127.0.0.1

> I have been struggling with this problem for a while, and it is quite
> annoying.  I would appreciate all the help I could get on the subject.

	If you give more details and send your /etc/namedb/named.conf and
	your /etc/resolv.conf files, it should be pretty easy to fix.  By
	details, I mean what host(s) your connecting from, which zones you
	you are doing reverses, slave on, etc.

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.