Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:08:43 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Jim Arnold <jarnold@knightridder.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: once last try

# jarnold@knightridder.com / 2002-12-30 09:55:45 -0500:
> > > I put a11d015.neo.rr.com as my hostname in Postfix and everything
> > > seems to work well, except I tried to subscribe to the questions list
> > > with this new setup but it doesn't seem to work. I get a response
> > > from majordomo saying that it is sending another email to my address
> > > as an authorization key but that email never arrives.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> >     Hmm... What's in a11d015.neo.rr.com:/var/log/maillog ?
>
> When I send an email to majordomo this is in the log:
>
> Dec 30 09:33:57 spike postfix/smtp[63074]: AEE193690:
> to=<Majordomo@FreeBSD.ORG>, relay=smtp-server.neo.rr.com[65.24.7.36],
> delay=2, status=sent (250 2.0.0 gBUEXsTp003928 Message accepted for
> delivery)

    Which is not interesting. You want to know what comes in, don't you?

    If you relay through RoadRunner's MTA then you most probably don't
    have to do anything special with your Postfix. ISP's relays don't
    expect much from the client, or 95% of internet users wouldn't be
    able to send out a single message.

    I thought your goal was to fix your Postfix so that mx1.freebsd.org
    talks to it. You *can't* test this if you relay throu RR's MTA.

    1) Comment out the relayhost parameter in $config_directory/main.cf
       and "postfix reload".
    3) Watch your /var/log/maillog for mail coming in from freebsd.org.
       If majordomo sends you one of the two messages, it most probably
       sends the other one, too. Or at least I can't think of a
       situation when it wouldn't do so.