Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:27:31 -0600
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        "Richard S. Conley" <rconley81@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: drivers and such

> I am interested in FreeBSD, but I am unsure of where I would get
> drivers for my hardware.  Does BSD use the same drivers as linux, or
> other unix variants?

No.

> I know that most companies have linux drivers now for pc
> hardware..but I have never seen BSD drivers.

That's because few companies write drivers for their hardware for *BSD
(just like most companies don't write drivers for their hardware for
Linux).  Luckily, lots of volunteers have written loads of drivers for
*BSD, just like for Linux.  Check

  http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-hw.html

to see if your hardware is supported (or what to buy if it's not).

Lucas