Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:14:58 -0500
From:      "Charles Howse" <chowse@charter.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ports vs. Packages

I'm confused ( which is not an uncommon occurrence ), let's say I know I
don't need to edit the source code of any of the additional software
that I plan to install, but I want the latest version.

Should I install from ports or sysistall/packages/FTP?

I just installed Midnight Commander from ports ( make && make install &&
make clean ), and with all the dependencies, it took over 30 minutes on
my Celeron 300 w/64 MB, vs. less than a minute from sysinstall.

Thanks,
Charles