Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 08:28:11 -0800
From:      "Kutulu" <kutulu@kutulu.org>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Paul Fardy" <pdfardy@mac.com>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Junior Annoying Hacker Task

From: "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 7:31 PM

> I don't see that at all--the most distinctive characteristic to me of the
> Microsoft Windows Registry is that it tries to be a *single* place where
> *all* configuration information--both system and application--is written.
If
> you ask Microsoft I'm pretty sure they'd tell you that's it's prime
advantage
> and I claim that it's prime drawback.  Either way, that's what most

Actually, if you ask them *now* they will tell you it's a pain in the ass.
Which is why they are moving away from the registry with .NET to
application-specific "manifests".  Much like MDI, this is another great
Microsoft 'innovation' that everyone copied until it became a de-facto
standard... just in time for Micrsoft to declare it a failure. :x

(Waiting for someone to suggest XML manifests for FreeBSD, and cringing).

--K