Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 2004 08:49:44 -0500
From:      Comrade Burnout <geektron@comradeburnout.com>
To:        Philip Murray <me@philth.net.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.2.1 port dependencies (PHP/PEAR)

Philip Murray wrote:

> Comrade Burnout wrote:
>
>> i recently upgraded some machines to FreeBSD 5.2.1-STABLE, and trying
>> to install the PEAR objects (PHP stuff).
>>
>> I've looked through the INDEX file in my local ports collection, and
>> the PEAR tree is looking for:
>>
>> php4-4.3.4
>> whereas mod_php4 and any of the other (non-PEAR ) PHP ports are
>> looking for:
>>
>> mod_php4-4.3.4,1
>>
> PEAR needs a command line PHP binary to be able to run. The mod_php4
> package only installs an Apache module and not the commandline PHP
> binary.
> Thus PEAR would be unuseable. The upside, is that the php4 package
> includes the command line binary, an Apache module and the CGI
> executable.

well, i did say "and others".  i had the php4 package installed, but
there were other conflicts (that i don't remember at the moment -- the
original problem was making sure the mysql-client libs were in synch
with the mysql server i'm using.  i tried to go up to mysql-4.1, but the
packages for mod_php, php, etc. have a dependency listed for the
'earlier' release of mysql )