Date:      Fri, 16 Dec 2016 09:42:05 -0700
From:      Cody Swanson <cody@sysop.ca>
Subject:   Re: HW defect or system failure

Things I would try:

* Look at dmesg and /var/log/messages for recent errors.
* Install smartmontools (available in ports/pkgs) and do a smartctl -a
/dev/yourdrivedevice (usually ada0 or da0). Anything more than 0 in
Reallocated_Sector_Ct, Reallocated_Event_Count, Current_Pending_Sector
or Offline_Uncorrectable can indicate a problem with the drive.
Additionally if it's an SSD look for non zero counts in fields like
Reported_Uncorrect or Program_Fail_Cnt_Total.
* Your computer may provide thermal information you can look at, kldload
coretemp && sysctl -a | egrep -E "cpu\.[0-9]+\.temp". Additionally,
there may be other data available depending on your hardware, try sysctl
-a | grep tempe .
* To stress test the machine to see if it's a cooling problem you can
try something like cpuburn (in ports/pkgs) but be careful as you can
damage a system with a cooling problem. If I were going to run cpuburn I
would monitor the core temps and not let them get much above 90C. Intel
CPU's generally throttle their clock speed when the temps get too high,
I've had AMD Opeteron cpu's actually melt a seized fan into the heat
sink before failing. Do this at your own risk!
* For a laptop take a look at the vents, do they look dirty or dusty?
Some laptops are easy to get at the fans to clean them, might be worth a
shot.
* For kernel panics try enabling crash dumps. There is a great section
in the handbook about enabling them and using them for debugging:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

Good Luck!