Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 10:15:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au
Cc:        darrenr@cyber.com.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dds tape drives.

I whipped together the sys/scsi/st.c block and record counting
code I had for both FreeBSD 2.2-RELEASE and FreeBSD 1.7-RELEASE.
This is tested only on FreeBSD 1.7.

I surrounded the sys/scsi/st.c changes inside NDSU_ST_EXT defines
for quicker disabling if you so desire. A person may also remove
the NDSU_ST_EXT #ifdef statements if you also wish.

I also added the check to see if the tape is mounted read-write or
read-only (I used this is a tape mounting program where an operator
mounts a tape in one of those mode, and the tape mounting program
can spit the tape out if the operator has the wrong write setting).
The Write status is accomplished by adding a new "flag" field in the
mtget structure located in the file sys/sys/mtio.h

for anyone that is interested you in these changes, you may get them
from either:

	ftp://joy.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/pub/freebsd-st-count/1.7-st-patch
	ftp://joy.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/pub/freebsd-st-count/2.2-st-patch

or
	ftp://ftp.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/pub/freebsd-st-count/1.7-st-patch
	ftp://ftp.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/pub/freebsd-st-count/2.2-st-patch

--mark.