Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:50:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Remy Nonnenmacher <remy@synx.com>
To:        ken@plutotech.com
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Huge SCSI configs

On 13 Apr, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> Yes, there are certainly problems with Quantum disks.  The main problem is
> that they continually return Queue Full, until we reduce the number of
> transactions queued to the device to the minimum (2).
>
> We get around this problem in the Atlas 2 and 3 by setting the minimum
> number of transactions to 24.  It would probably be better if you just
> avoid Quantum disks and go for IBM instead.

Hiiirk. good queing is _required_. Okay Okay. Let's IBM....(also a
personnal preference).

>> >From a pure performance POV, this is not really cutting-edge depending
>> on a good access repartition algo (100x10Mb ~ 125MB/s ~ 31MB/chain) and
>> adding chains is easy. Need only to keep things busy.
>
> Ahh, okay.  So your performance requirements aren't too bad.  You probably
> won't be able to get 100 10Mb/sec streams of video out of one Gigabit
> Ethernet interface, though.  You'll probably want to divide it over two
> interfaces.

Video stream is took from the SCSI chain. The OS machine is only a one
side. The GigaEthernet is only here for the fun....

> Certainly sounds interesting.

As this machine will sit idling for one or two months, i though that it
may be interesting to make it available for FS and drivers writers to
stress it....

A low-cost contribution for those interested.