Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 12:36:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <up@3.am>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware Compatibility

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Gregory Sutter wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 21, 1999 at 11:24:30AM +0000, gimp@netnet.com.sg wrote:
> >
> > I will be setting up a server running on FreeBSD 3.2 soon. The server
> > will have the following hardware:
> >
> > 1. Intel 440GX Mainboard with:
> >         Intel 82558 Fast Ethernet 10/100
> > 2. Mylex BT958 SCSI host controller
> > 3. DAC960SX SCSI-to-SCSI disk array controller 5 channels 16MB RAM
>
> I have experience with the L440GX motherboards. They are very fast
> and have solid integrated components (Intel 82559 ethernet, Adaptec
> 7896 SCSI). I don't use the SCSI so I've never actually tested it with
> FreeBSD, although it works great with L***x. I don't know why you're
> adding a Mylex, unless you've determined for sure that the onboard SCSI
> doesn't work.

I use this board, including the AIC-7896 on-board SCSI with FreeBSD and it
works fine.  It's just a shame there's no driver for the Adaptec add-on
RAIDport board.

> The worst thing about these motherboards is their Phoenix BIOS, which is
> awful. Besides not being very configurable, it has no way to skip the
> memory check (and with 2GB of RAM, this is a major hassle).

Yes!  Even with only 256MB it's rather a drag. OTOH, it's nice to be able
to configure the BIOS to redirect the console out to serial I/O ports.

> http://www.intel.com/design/servers/l440gx/
>
> I've never used the DAC RAID controllers, but I do suggest that you
> increase the RAM on the controller if appropriate, and definitely
> be sure that the thing has a battery backup or some other form of
> protection to ensure that your data stays around if the power doesn't.
> (This is in addition to a UPS, of course.)

Hmmm...the only hardware RAID drivers for FreeBSD I've seen any mention of
are for DPT.

up@3.am							    http://3.am