Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:17:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Steven Young <dreamer@freelow.ninsei.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: visual config editor

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> >   Hm, well now.  The help text would be pretty easy to put in the LINT
> > file - probably something simple like just putting a comment block above
> > each option, and that will be imported as the help text.  However, as
>
> I think the comment block should contain some sort of standardized
> "record" of not just help text, but possible values for certain fields
> (or information which denotes that they're display-only, or whatever).

  Hm.. well, my DESC file format isn't really appropriate for use in the
LINT file, as it uses up a lot of vertical space.  How about:

# help-text: This is the AT keyboard controller.  It's great! You really
# +want to include this option.
# changeable-options: irq
device atkbd0  at isa? tty irq 1

The possible fields might be:

  help-text (obvious)
  required-args (a list of arguments that are required, in case they
                 aren't in the device line for whatever reason)
  possible-args (a list of arguments that can be in the device line,
                 but aren't necessary)
  unchangeable-required-args (a list of arguments that are required,
                              and cannot have their values changed)
  unchangeable-possible-args (a list of arguments that are not required,
                              and cannot have their values changed)
  requires (a list of other devices/controllers/etc this option needs to
            function - planned, but not planned for implementation in v1)

  Or perhaps something a bit less verbose, but you get the idea.  In
addition, any arguments that are present in the LINT device line, but not
mentioned explicitly in the comment block above, are assumed to be
required-changeable (ie, required-args), saving a bit of typing on the
part of the comment writer.

  Does this sound sane? Now that I actually read what I've written, it
seems kind of whacky, but I'm not sure of any really "easy" ways to
represent the information that needs to be represented in a manner that is
simple for a program to parse.

  Steve.