Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:05:37 +0300
From:      George Mamalakis <mamalos@eng.auth.gr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   jails and mac_seeotheruids problems in 6-STABLE

Hallo everyone,

I have 3 servers in my lab. 2 of them are running 6-STABLE and one of
them is running 7-STABLE. All three have services running in jails. I
noticed a very peculiar behavior in 6-STABLE when I set the sysctl
security.mac.seeotheruids.enabled=1. The root user in my jails was not
able to see processes and sockets owned by other users of the same jail,
whereas the root user of the host system could see every process (thank
the Almighty). The same behavior does not apply on the server running
7-STABLE.

In one sense it is more secure, since the root user in a jail is not as
"strong" as the root user should be in a UNIX system. On the other hand,
the root user looses its purpose of existence, which I suppose is a bug.

Below are the security.mac sysctl settings of both 6 and 7-STABLE:

6-STABLE:

security.mac.max_slots: 4
security.mac.enforce_network: 1
security.mac.enforce_pipe: 1
security.mac.enforce_posix_sem: 1
security.mac.enforce_suid: 1
security.mac.mmap_revocation_via_cow: 0
security.mac.mmap_revocation: 1
security.mac.enforce_vm: 1
security.mac.enforce_process: 1
security.mac.enforce_socket: 1
security.mac.enforce_system: 1
security.mac.enforce_kld: 1
security.mac.enforce_sysv_msg: 1
security.mac.enforce_sysv_sem: 1
security.mac.enforce_sysv_shm: 1
security.mac.enforce_fs: 1
security.mac.seeotheruids.specificgid: 0
security.mac.seeotheruids.specificgid_enabled: 0
security.mac.seeotheruids.primarygroup_enabled: 0
security.mac.seeotheruids.enabled: 1
security.mac.portacl.rules: uid:80:tcp:80,uid:80:tcp:443
security.mac.portacl.port_high: 1023
security.mac.portacl.autoport_exempt: 1
security.mac.portacl.suser_exempt: 1
security.mac.portacl.enabled: 1

7-STABLE:

security.mac.max_slots: 4
security.mac.version: 3
security.mac.mmap_revocation_via_cow: 0
security.mac.mmap_revocation: 1
security.mac.seeotheruids.specificgid: 0
security.mac.seeotheruids.specificgid_enabled: 0
security.mac.seeotheruids.suser_privileged: 1
security.mac.seeotheruids.primarygroup_enabled: 0
security.mac.seeotheruids.enabled: 1

I would be very glad if someone could inform me whether I am doing
something wrong; if not I think I should inform FreeBSD about this bug.

Thank you guys in advance,

--
George Mamalakis

IT Officer
Electrical and Computer Engineer (Aristotle Un. of Thessaloniki),
MSc (Imperial College of London)

Faculty of Engineering
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki

phone number : +30 (2310) 994379