Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:09:32 +0900
From:      Shigeyuki Fukushima <shige@FreeBSD.org>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu
Cc:        shige@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: emacs-XX

From: asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Subject: emacs-XX
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 05:12:16 -0700 (PDT)

asami> Do you object if I added a symlink emacs-XX pointing to emacs-XX.YY
asami> (or emacs-XX.Y)?  There are several ports out there that require a
asami> certain version of emacs (19 or 20), and most of them broke when
asami> emacs20 was upgraded from 20.3 to 20.4.

Certainly, the form of dependency is:
   depend_command_name:depend_port_name
Therefore, when depend_command_name is equal to depend_port_name
semantically, we can make better consistency of port's dependency.

But, some of emacs-lisp ports/packages which require one of emacsen port
have a version(XX.YY)-specific emacs-lisp.
Such ports are still broken.
Because we need to re-define major and minor version of emacs which
this port uses.

Then, I proposed the `editors/emacsen' port.
This port has some general variables for several emacses ports.
Variables are:
  EMACS_NAME, EMACS_VER, EMACS_CMD, EMACS_LIBDIR, EMACS_LIBDIR_WITH_VER
These variables are prepared for every emacsen.
# Please see also editors/apel-emacs/Makefile.
This `editors/emacsen' port looks like bsd.port.mk.
# In short, this port is a do-nothing port.

Emacsen ports include this port's Makefile and bsd.port.mk
If editors/emacs20 was upgraded, it is enough only to upgrade
EMACS_VER for emacs20 in this Makefile.

ex.) Sample of 'editors/emacsen' port Makefile

.if defined(EMACS_PORT_NAME)
.if (${EMACS_PORT_NAME} == "emacs")
EMACS_NAME=             emacs
EMACS_VER=              19.34
EMACS_CMD=              ${EMACS_NAME}-${EMACS_VER}
# directory without ${PREFIX}
EMACS_LIBDOIR=          share/${EMACS_NAME}
EMACS_LIBDOIR_WITH_VER= share/${EMACS_NAME}/${EMACS_VER}
.elif (${EMACS_PORT_NAME} == "emacs20")
EMACS_NAME=             emacs
EMACS_VER=              20.3
EMACS_CMD=              ${EMACS_NAME}-${EMACS_VER}
# directory without ${PREFIX}
EMACS_LIBDOIR=          share/${EMACS_NAME}
EMACS_LIBDOIR_WITH_VER= share/${EMACS_NAME}/${EMACS_VER}
.elif (${EMACS_PORT_NAME} == "mule")
EMACS_NAME=             mule
EMACS_VER=              19.34
EMACS_CMD=              ${EMACS_NAME}-${EMACS_VER}
# directory without ${PREFIX}
EMACS_LIBDOIR=          share/${EMACS_NAME}
EMACS_LIBDOIR_WITH_VER= share/${EMACS_NAME}/${EMACS_VER}
.elif (... other emacsen ...)
   .
   .
   .