Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:23:27 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFD: How about tagging packages as "Portable"?

One of the problems with the package system is that pkg_add will
gladly set the prefix on a package it's adding, even if the resulting
install breaks.

How about adding yet another magic comment to the PLIST, along with a
flag for pkg_create to set it and a variable in the bsd.port.mk to
uset the flag? This one would be a boolean called "RELOCATABLE" (or
something similar) to indicate that the compiled binaries can be move
without breaking them. If it's not in the pkg then pkg_add would treat
using the p flag as an error, and exit unless the f flag were set.

pkg_create would get a new flag (R seems to be free) to cause it to
add a "relocatable" flag to the package.  Finally, bsd.port.mk would
need a hook to add that flag to PKG_ARGS if the appropriate make
variable (RELOCATABLE ?) were set in the ports Makefile.

I'm not enough of a pkg_install maven to know if there's a better
method than another comment in the PLIST, but it all seems
straightforward to implement. I don't really see a downside, unless
port authors don't ever bother marking their ports as RELOCATABLE.

I'm sufficiently buried that I wanted to get feedback from others -
hopefully including someone who'll implement this - before starting on
it myself.

	Thanx,
	<mike

Please leave me on the Cc: list; I'm not subscribed to -ports.