Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:58:32 -0600
From:      Tony Wells <awells@journalstar.com>
To:        Doron Shmaryahu <doron@iti.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3com 3cxe589et

If you have the duplex setting wrong on the NIC, you will definitely
have problems.  Check netstat -i to see if you have excessive
input/output errors or collisions.  I recently had some problems with an
ethernet card which were intermittent, and very hard to figure out.
Ends up that one of the contacts inside the connector was bent, and was
making less than ideal contact.  I mention this, because the connectors
on pcmcia NIC's are notoriously fragile.