Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 22:31:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HEADS UP: Spontaneous reboots

Everybody who is experiencing spontaneous reboots under 3.0-STABLE or
4.0-CURRENT (and did not experience them with 2.2.8 or earlier) and cannot
find any indication of what could be wrong (nothing on the console and
nothing in syslog), please send me (in *private* mail) the output of
"dmesg" on your machine and your kernel configuration file. Also send a
list of all daemons that are running on a freshly booted system and any
other information you think could be relevant.

If you are a commiter or a networking guru, even better. :) Please send
the above data, even if you have already responded to the "Spontaneous
reboots" thread on this mailing list.

I'm trying to compile a list of hardware and software configurations that
experience the problem and see if there is something in common between
them. If we want to fix the problem, we at least need a starting point.

For now it looks like it is a problem with the networking code, so please
send a description of what network activity is going on when you
experience the reboots.

I will summarize the responses I receive.

Also if you have a good idea how we could attack the problem, please speak
up. For now my idea is to find a common software and hardware
configuration and then try to sistematically remove components that could
cause the problem.

I have separetely posted this message to both freebsd-current and
freebsd-stable, as it seems to affect both branches. Please DO NOT respond
to the mailing list.

Thank you for your attention.

Blaz Zupan, blaz@medinet.si, http://home.amis.net/blaz
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia