Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 15:27:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      Jim Mock <jim@phrantic.phear.net>
To:        funkycolmedina <dustpan@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tar/tgz

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, funkycolmedina wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I mounted my A drive where I got my downloaded latest driver from
> the ftp to get X running, and this is my delimna.
>
> in my /mnt directory I copied the file to where I needed it:
>
> file was        x3323s~1.tgz
> typed           gunzip x3323s~1.tgz

Instead of doing gunzip, try tar xfvz <filename>.  That'll ungzip and
untar it at the same time.

> got             x3323s~1.tar    (??)
> typed           tar -x x3323s~1.tar

Or if you just want to untar the tar file, use tar xfv filename if
it's not gzipped.

Jim

: Jim Mock			| [jim@phrantic.phear.net]	:
: Phear Networks		| web: http://www.phear.net/	:
: A franchise of Triax, Inc.	| -----------------------------	:
: Web Site Design & Hosting	| FreeBSD: The Power to Serve	:
: Wagga Wagga, NSW Australia	| http://www.freebsd.org/	: