Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:25:22 +0200
From:      Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup <seb@struchtrup.com>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: alternative options for ports

David O'Brien wrote:

>OPTIONS isn't the answer -- they don't do anything for 'pkg_add -r'
>users.

That's a problem. I agree.
But what about ports having 10 different options?
Probably it would make sense to build the most common configurations in
such a case.
On the other hand, the user must know which package to add for a given
port with a given config.
I am not familiar with packages and package building in detail.

>Since we go to a *lot* of work building packages and making them
>available there must be a huge number of consumers of them.  We should be
>making more port variations.  vim-gtk, vim-kde, vim-athena, vim-motif for
>instance.  That way a pkg_add user and get what they want.

I assume that this is currently done by hand? To say build the vim port
with options --with-gtk, --with-kde and --with_arena?
Or is there a way to set this in a Makefile? Not only altering the
package name from vim to vim-xxx, but to define configurations for
automatic package building?