Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 00:21:28 +0000
From:      Steve Burton <steve@sliderule.demon.co.uk>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for hanging of vr interface (Rhine Ethernet)

Hi.

In my case using a D-Link card with Rhine II chip, the problem was
sometimes apparent when booting but could easily by provoked by FTPing a
file from a working FTP server across a 100Base switch. The symptoms;
many watchdog timer error logged to the console, the effective FTP
bandwidth was only a few kbits per second followed (nearly always) by a
complete lock-up of the interface requiring it to be downed with
ifconfig and then re-enabled. One one occasion I had to reboot to regain
control.

Steve.

Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :
> :I will gladly test out the patch, but what was the original problem that
> :people were having with this NIC ?
> :
> :         ---Mike
>
>     Well, my box is network-booted and nfs mounted.  What happened
>     to me was that everything locked up (e.g. because NFS was
>     suddenly inoperable).  It recovered itself 5 minutes later.
>
>     Right now I'm running torture tests with the patch.  No lockups
>     so far, but I do see an occassional 'vr0: rx packet lost' on
>     the console (about two dozen so far).  I haven't messed around
>     too much with the BIOS pci parameters yet.  Does anyone know
>     how large vr0's on-chip FIFOs are?
>
>                                         -Matt
>                                         Matthew Dillon
>                                         <dillon@backplane.com>