Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 20:22:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        cracauer@cons.org, jmoss@ichips.intel.com, chet@po.cwru.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'bug' in /bin/sh's builtin 'echo'

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Just write your shell scripts portably; that way they will work on all
> platforms, back to Xenix 1.1.x, which didn't support shell functions.

That is a wonderful idea... assuming that we have access to shell script
that other people write, and can go through making the needed changes.  In
this specific case it is next to impossible.

What is one supposed to do when integrating a FreeBSD system into a
netwrok where the hosts will call 'rsh -l foo bar echo baz\c' and need
that to print out without the newline  This is not a hypothetical, this is
what IRIX *does*.

--
David Cross