Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 17:33:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Gary DeMarco <gary@ase.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   modem problems

After a recent problem in which my IDE card was zapped, I replaced
same only to have modem problems.  I am a subdomain off another
system; however, while I can dial in and receive calls, when my
machine dials in to pick up mail, I get protocol, header a and
checksum problems noticed in the /var/spool/uucp/Log and /Stats
files.  I can reboot up on DOS, use pcplus to upload/download
files okay.  I can tip into another system, and talk to my modem.
It is a Practical Peripherals PM14400FXMT.  Once in a while, I
can send mail; it seems to go out, but not all that regularly;
and on even rarer occasions, mail will come, but only very short,
one line messages.  Could use some pointers here.

Gary DeMarco
gary@ase.ase.com