Date:      Thu, 04 Feb 1999 08:22:11 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Rod Taylor <oscentral@usa.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network Cards

> Rod Taylor wrote:
> >
> > I've often wondered this, but why is it that every network card has a different
> > 'name'.
> >
> > xl0, rl0, vr0, ed0, etc. etc. etc
> >
> > I tried simlinking them to a common name (I have xl0, rl0, and ed0 active in my
> > current machine).   linked to eth0, eth1, eth2 (didn't work).
> >
> > However, it would be nice if they all had a common name to the end user..
> > Primarily, me..  Especially when you rip out one card, install another, then
> > the name changes on you...
>
> Suppose you have "xl" and "vr" in your computer. They are named eth0
> and eth1, respectively. You then replace your "vr" by a "ed". Mark
> with an X the correct option:
>
> ( ) the names for "vr" and "ed" will be eth0 and eth1, respectively.
> ( ) the names for "vr" and "ed" will be eth1 and eth0, respectively.
> ( ) none of the above
>
> Can you see what I'm getting at here? :-)
>
> The best solution would be hardwiring the names, but in that case it
> doesn't matter what are the default names.

Actually, this is just a pathalogical case of:

You have de0 and de1 in your computer.  You replace one with another
'de' card/rearrange cards/whatever.  Mark with an X the correct option

( ) de0 remains de0, de1 remains de1
( ) de0 becomes de1, de1 becomes de0
( ) you discover a new device, de-1

Having a single linear namespace for interfaces would, actually, make
life somewhat easier for the administrator.  You can simulate it buy
only buying one type of ethernet card.