Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 15:09:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        rnordier@nordier.com
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning

>>> The critical issue, however, is really whether it is feasible to
>>> compile *FreeBSD* with a non-GCC compiler.  Any real problems will
>>> be due to FreeBSD (GCC quirks in the code) not to the compiler.
>>> (There are no fundamental difficulties inherent in compiling
>>> UNIX-like systems).
>> My own concern would be the amount of code in third-party programs
>> that uses gccisms.  I guess I don't see why we're looking to change.
> A reasonable point.  TenDRA does have a more relaxed mode, but
> there are various things it can't handle.  For instance, using cast
> expressions as lvalues (perhaps that's a pc-ism).

No, you're right, casts as lvalues is a gccism (along with ?: and , in
lvalues).  My main concerns are inline, long long, typeof, nested
functions, and extensions to asm.  Now, I'll grant you that the last
three we most frequently get in through software from the GNU/Linux
camps, but I still like the software and want to be able to use it.

A question: Who knows how we are on gccisms in our assembly routines?

> I only want to be *able* to change:
>   If you love gcc, let it go.
>   If it stays, it is suitable
>   If not, it never was.