Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 2010 22:36:30 +0200
From:      Harald Weis <hawei@free.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox OpenSolaris guest

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 02:34:11PM -0400, Alex Goncharov wrote:
> ,--- You/Harald (Fri, 8 Oct 2010 20:00:46 +0200) ----*
> | My hope to find an interim solution for the flashplayer nightmare
> | (while waiting for gnash) can be measured by the amount of hours
> | I've spent to get flash - easily and long-term-wise -  playing  on FreeBSD,
> | Ubuntu, PCBSD...
> |
> | I guess that FreeBSD will never be supported by Adobe.
>
> Flash works beautifully for me on FreeBSD 8.1 in both Firefox 3.6 (use
> the instructions at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/desktop-browsers.html)
> and in Opera (linux and native.)

Yes, I know that very well and used it with success many times. There is
a message exchange on the questions mailing list - "concerning flash
under freebsd" starting on last June 15 - which confirms my own
experience of ugly things like npviewer.bin coredumps and browser
freezing. I found the suggestion interesting to install VirtualBox and
OpenSolaris which is an operating system supported by Adobe. That's the
reason why I gave it a try.

> Is your problem "flash" or "audio" (i.e. can you play an mp3 file with
> mpg123, for example)?

"flash" installs like a charm. It's audio. There is no audio whatsoever
after a perfectly clean OpenSolaris guest installation. The guest cannot
determine the correct audio driver for the underlying audio card.
Needless to say that the audio card works for the FreeBSD host (still
on 8.0 for the moment).

--
Harald