Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 20:00:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Bart Trzynadlowski <trzy@powernet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shell problems

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Bart Trzynadlowski wrote:

> Thanks, I was able to set the path and some variables such as EDITOR and
> PAGER by doing: export EDITOR=ee
>
> Is that the correct way to set environment variables?

This is typical of shells using the sh method--sh, bash, zsh.
And sh is what's used, often, to write shell scripts.
csh and tcsh would use a different format, both in configuration
files and at the command line.

> Is there a description somewhere of how this kind of configuration works
> under UNIX? All of the setting stuff and everything? I'd really like to get
> an understanding of this stuff instead of just memorizing it.

Mostly in books; in excruciating detail and difficult language, manual
pages.  Shell manual pages can be 75 pages long.  Those for zsh are
broken up into separate pages, but it may be difficult to answer a
question like "how do I?".  I use
man zsh | col -b > zsh.txt
to create a text file, I put all the zsh man pages in text form
in a subdirectory called zsh, and then I can go there and
do something like "grep prompt *" to find out where the references
to setting the prompt are (for example).

Tab completion of commands and directory names, up and down
arrows for recalling commands (and editing them on the command
line), a prompt that can be easily made to show you who you
are (i.e., if you're root) and where you are (the directory), and
switching to the directory you last visited with "cd -" are
some of the features people like that aren't readily available
in sh and csh, the two basic shells.

Annelise