Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 2009 12:17:54 -0600
From:      Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unhappy Xorg upgrade

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 16:25 -0500, Alex Goncharov wrote:
>> ,--- You/vehemens (Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:53:58 -0800) ----*
>> | In general when upgrading, you take your chances.  If a port upgrade
>> | fails, you should fall back to what worked.
>>
>> So, a *fundamental* (practically an OS component) port is brought in
>> -- and it disables my system.  What is my way of action?  Right --
>> install the old packages, taken from an FTP site (is there a way to
>> get the previous "source", that is all the ports/*/*/Makefile files?
>> Csup can only go forward -- or can it go back?)
>>
>> When I install the old packages, I can no longer rebuild and install
>> new (say `csup'ed on 2009-03-01) port components, as one whole -- I
>> can only do it selectively, excluding from the upgrade most
>> X-dependent things.  That sucks and will lead to a problem earlier or
>> later.
> Will combination of sysutils/portdowngrade and HOLD_PKGS variable
> in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf accomplish what you are trying to
> accomplish?

<Shameless Self Promotion>

I spend a fair amount of time doing data center consulting
professionally, and the idea of incremental upgrade/ regressions
terrifies IT operations people. New production systems are first
tested in a non-production mode, and then staged to production.

In light of these kinds of issues, some time ago, I came up with a
scheme to do "snapshots" of running FreeBSD (or Linux, for that
matter) systems. This makes easy to (re)image a given server with a
known good production configuration. It is built around an almost
trivial backup shell script I did a long time ago:

    http://www.tundraware.com/Software/tbku/

Specific FreeBSD imaging info using 'tbku' is there as well:

    http://www.tundraware.com/Software/tbku/Imaging-FreeBSD-With-tbku.html

This general approach has saved my <Biblical Beast Of Burden> on a
number of occasions, and I regularly shoot system snapshots of my
stable server configurations "just in case"...

</Shameless Self Promotion>

Tim Daneliuk     tundra@tundraware.com