Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 10:17:26 +0200
From:      Gert-Jan.Vons@ocegr.fr
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Does your BT-445S work at 40 MHz ?

Hello all.

I recently upgraded my 33MHz cpu to a DX2-80, which increased the
motherboard/VLB speed to 40MHz.

The system is running fine, except for the SCSI stuff. When installing
from the SCSI CD-ROM, I get crc-errors during decompression,
and reading 16MByte from a unmounted partition on the SCSI disk
(/dev/sd0s1 for example) does not always give the same result.

Slowing down to a 33MHz external clock seems to avoid the problem,
but since the buslogic is supposed to support 40MHz, I'm wondering
why it doesn't work.

System:
	SGS-Thomson/Cyrix 486DX2-80
	no-name motherboard
	16MB RAM
	Buslogic BT-445S  firmware 3.31C (board is rev. B)
		Fujitsu 1GB disk + Toshiba 3401 CD + archive 2150 tape
	S3-864 on VLB
	multi-io on VLB
		Conner 340MB ide disk
	soundblaster AWE32

Note that the problem is doesn't seem to be related to freebsd,
linux has similar problems (seems to be even worse)

Is there someone that knows what may be wrong ?

	Gert-Jan

J.G. Vons, Oce engineering Creteil, France | E-mail: Gert-Jan.Vons@ocegr.fr