Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:41:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -stable panic

And as a followup to my own question, this is what fixed the "vref where
vget..." problem:

We have three web machines, all running the same kernel, lkms, and
binaries.  One of them paniced shortly after boot.  The machines are
identical, except for the one that paniced, which has 128M instead of 98M.
I had mistakenly done the "installworld" with -DNOLKM, which skipped
updating the Linux lkm.  For some reason, two of the machines had no
problem with the outdated lkm, and one did.  Doing a "make install" in
/usr/src/lkm/linux fixed it up.

So the lesson learned is "always update your lkms".   I win a pointy hat.

Thanks,

Charles Sprickman
spork@super-g.com
----
                           "I'm not a prophet or a stone-age man
                           Just a mortal with potential of a superman
                           I'm living on"      -DB