Date:      Sun, 18 May 2008 10:01:34 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Luke Dean <LukeD@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stop building all those kernel modules

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 05:32:50PM -0700, Luke Dean wrote:
>=20
> I'm trying to use nanobsd to build a small kernel for an embedded system =
on=20
> FreeBSD 7.
>=20
> In previous versions, I could modify GENERIC by just commenting out all t=
he=20
> devices and options that I wasn't interested in, and buildkernel=20
> KERNCONF=3Dmyconf would happily ignore all the things I wasn't interested=
 in.
>=20
> This no longer works.  Now everything gets built, even things that are=20
> broken/incompatible with other options I've chosen.
>=20
> I've tried setting NO_MODULES=3DYES, but the modules were still built.
> I see documentation for WITHOUT_MODULES, but it wants me to list every=20
> module I don't want to build?  Come on!  There must be a better way...

Put the following in you kernel config:

makeoptions     MODULES_OVERRIDE=3D""

This will prevent the building of all modules. So you will only get the
devices built into the kernel. If you do wnat something to be built as a
module, put it between the quotation marks, e.g. MODULES_OVERRIDE=3D"wlan r=
al".

Roland
--=20

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj