Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2011 19:39:20 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@samodelkin.net>
Cc:        Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org>, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: Remove debug echo
References:  <201111291607.26546.jhb@freebsd.org> <A6C0CFB3-A657-41AA-8A2E-172D95BD0F98@bsdimp.com> <20111201002515.GA50028@freebsd.org> <CAGH67wQFecLHFsANmWFSr6e%2B99P1QY9erNzoXFmJG40RntFazQ@mail.gmail.com> <20111201014349.GA61475@freebsd.org> <CAGH67wT18DLu%2BOhOOw-Pjyq9az0pWD39y4nuDY-nDyPOKbmd8Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAGH67wQGnSfnO0H4ok2=czm7uxdwY%2BBuDmtQdwuswjSBGt8szw@mail.gmail.com> <CADe0-4niyiLyTSofbnpovb4B-WpjnC9VEEM3_GeZFi-xVws=LQ@mail.gmail.com>

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Max Khon <fjoe@samodelkin.net> wrote:
> Garrett,
>
> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com> wrote=
:

>> I've attached a patch that makes make do what I would like it to do;
>> there are some other items that require cleanup to achieve the `argv0'
>> prefixing that's available in gmake, but this is good enough for a
>> meaningful traceback when things fail. Pastebin available here, just
>> in case the mailing list eats my patch: http://pastebin.com/dFqcDRfv
>>
>> $ cat ~/Makefile
>> all:
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0cd $$HOME/foo; ${MAKE} $@
>> $ cat ~/foo/Makefile
>> all: foo bar barf yadda
>>
>> foo bar yadda:
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0@true
>>
>> baz:
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0@false
>>
>> barf: baz
>> $ $PWD/make -j4 -f ~/Makefile all
>> cd $HOME/foo; /usr/src/usr.bin/make/make all
>> *** [baz] Error code 1
>> 1 error
>> *** [all] Error code 2
>> 1 error
>> $
>>
>> If someone would please, PLEASE commit this.. I will give you beer, or
>> wine, or a copy of Skyrim, or a few months subscription to WoW, or
>> something else of value to you that we could negotiate :)... I'm quite
>> frankly tired of having to playing guessing games fishing through logs
>> trying to determine build errors on FreeBSD if and when they do occur
>> with pmake, and I'm sure that a number of developers and build/release
>> engineers out there are in the same boat as I am.
>

> Can you explain why did you remove MESSAGE() invocations in your patch?
> Other than that the patch looks good to me.

    I thought that printing out MESSAGE and the more informative
*printf was kind of redundant.
Thanks!
-Garrett

PS A sidenote why I bypassed MESSAGE(..): if I used the macro, make
would segfault as MESSAGE depends on targFmt and targPrefix being set
to something sane (they both default to NULL -- one explicitly, the
other implicitly because it's in the .BSS). These vars are only set in
one section of code, but I took the easy route out to avoid
accidentally breaking other code paths and because what I did in the
previously attached patch was simple to implement and test.