Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 06:58:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        steve2@genesis.tiac.net (Steve Gerakines)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Minutes of the Thursday, April 13th core team meeting in Berkeley.

Steve Gerakines writes:

> > 	April 17th:	Begin CODE 'FREEZE' on NEW features on a branch copy
> > 			of 2.0-950412-SNAP.
> >
> > 	April 21:	SNAPSHOT for testing.
> >
> > 	April 24th:	2.0.5 CDROM mastered.
>
> Ugh!  This sounds awefully familar.  I'm not a core member, but how about
> this as a thought:
>
> If you must stick to a strict timetable, why not start automatically
> imposing a feature freeze 3 weeks before the close of each quarter.  At
> least if it was regularly scheduled we could all see it coming.  Circle
> the burn date in red on your calendar.  :-)  Only generate *one* SNAP
> release mid way through the quarter.  At least this would reduce the
> number of moving targets.

Absolutely, positively, no releases on a quarter boundary.  Please.

Both work and major holidays (end of June and end of December) cause
big crunches and too many FreeBSD contributers have "day jobs".

FreeBSD "quarters" should be shifted one way or another by a month.

> I'm not trying to be critical, but I really like FreeBSD.  I think it'd
> do nothing but hurt FreeBSD's reputation if the trend of surprise
> releases continues.  Right now there are so many different releases
> floating around it's getting very difficult to support.  (Older snaps
> are gone but people sure are still using them.)

Snaps aren't releases and won't go away.  The NEED to use snaps is at
least part due to 2.0 problems that a bug fix release would take care
of.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936