Date:      Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:04:53 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To:        Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual core CPUs support

Bruce Burden writes:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 09:12:22PM +0100, Tomas Randa wrote:
> > Hello all friends of FreeBSD unix,
> >
> > I?d like to ask here, what is the actual situation with dual core CPUs -
> > Athlon 64 X2 etc. and their functionality with FreeBSD 5.X / 6.X / 7.0
> > current.
> >
> > I tried 5.4/i386 with options  SMP, 6.0/i386 with the same config, in
> > both cases system found only one CPU, but on 5.4 system wrote HTT 2
> > logical units.
> >
> 	The i386 version disables HTT by default (see the security
>    notices for summer 2005 or thereabouts), so I am not surprised that
>    your second core is ignored/not reported. There is a switch that
>    will enable the HTT (second core, in your case) if you wish.
>
> 	As another poster mentiond, the AMD64 version of FBSD will
>    recognise the second core as expected.

HTT has nothing to do with recognizing an X2 AMD64. I've been running
i386 since before 6R and FreeBSD has always seen both cores.

Maybe the OP needs a new BIOS. I had to update my BIOS before the X2 was
correctly recognized.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyjATjennejohnDOTorg gjATfreebsdDOTorg garyjATdenxDOTde