Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:02:29 +1100
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>, Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Perl4 (was: tcl 7.6 & tk 4.2)

Oh well, since we're discussing it...

On Feb 02, 1997 at 06:45:58PM, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Very much like perl4 vs. perl5 then.
>
> Except that tcl8.0 isn't twice as large as tcl7.5, something which
> should make folks significantly less reticent about taking the
> plunge. :-)

The space issue is pretty much bogus, imho, even if I do
sympathise with it (although not much - as time goes by and I
see multi-megabyte commits to the repository occur more and
more frequently).

As we discussed previously, what is needed is a more
compartmented build/install system. It seemed to me at least
that there was a general agreement to that and it seems to be
a good compromise solution.

But it appears that isn't going to happen in the near future.
So we should 'bite the bullet' and as they say in the Nike
ads, "just do it". If a better scheme is invented later, then
we take that issue up then since more than Perl is affected.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/