Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 19:16:34 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>, <mrcpu@internetcds.com>, <clash@tasam.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems with large disk. (> 1 TB)

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, David Greenman wrote:

DG> >No, this has been mentioned multiple times in this thread:
DG> >
DG> >   slices won't help.  If the disk is > 1TB, then you can't slice it, dice it,
DG> >   or do anything else with it.  You just can't use it with FreeBSD, period.
DG> >
DG> >However, from what I gather here, if you concatenated separate physical disks
DG> >to make a single logical disk, and if each file system used large block
DG> >sizes, that *might* work.
DG>
DG>    Nope. Neither the physical nor logical disk can be greater than 1TB. Using
DG> Vinum or ccd is not a work-around for this problem. Now, *if* you had a
DG> hardware RAID system that could present it's storage to the host as multiple
DG> LUNs that were each < 1TB (each one showing up as seperate physical disk
DG> devices), then you could use it with FreeBSD, but that's not what has been
DG> discussed here.

Not that exactly, maybe I'd not clear enough...

Suppose you have bunch of currently available 160G disks. AFAICC we *can*
split eacho of them into 2 partitions of 80G each, and then stripe/RAID5
these into two 560G (thus allowed) RAID5 vinum. Or did I miss something?

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]