Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 96 12:17:51 -0500
From:      Gary Stanny <stanny@handset.laa.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        gary@handset.laa.com
Subject:   writing on socket gets - Permission denied

Hi all -

I can't get sockets to work. I keep getting
"permission denied" on some simple perl code
(UDP broadcasting) that works on FreeBSD 2.0.0 &
NextStep 3.3 under both Perl 4 & 5. I have read the
FAQ about ipfw getting in the way so I have tried
kernels with no ipfw and with ipfw with a rule of
"65534 allow all from any to any". But both
versions yielded no joy. I have had this problem under
2.1.0 & now under 2.1.5.

I have 3 questions that I will post separately so
the subject line is correct. I'll post the system
data once with the subject line - "System data for
questions about diablo.tdf_ltd.com". I'll be off
next week so please reply to my compuserve account -
72772.414@compuserve.com.

Thanks to all for a fine OS. And happy new year to
all.

cheers

gary

Gary Stanny             Lynn-Arthur Associates, Inc.   +1 313 995 5590
stanny@laa.com          Operations Support Systems     +1 313 995 5989 (fax)
2350 Green Road         Suite 160                      Ann Arbor, MI, 48105 USA