Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 14:28:50 -0000
From:      "Norman Khine" <norman@khine.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Setup of ADSL cable modem and FreeBSD support for USB -- HELP NEEDED

Hello,
I have a small test network which I use for experimentation and learning;^)
FreeBSD.

My set up is as follows

ISP / Internet

ADSL Modem

---------------------------
Win2K (public IP is issued everytime I connect, therefore it changes all the
time)

Internal IP
192.168.0.1
---------------------------

--------
10BaseT
Hub
--------

-------------------------
FreeBSD
192.168.0.2
-------------------------

My questions:

1) I am using the win2K as my gateway because the dial up I am using can
only use the ADSL modem provided, which links to a USB port on the PC, and
is quite straight forward to configure. Is there a way to setup my FreeBSD
with an ADSL modem which uses an asymmetric path and dynamic address, to
connect to my ISP? If so how or any links will be much appreciated;^)

2) Is there a way to hack arround my W2K box and use it just for connection
purposes, BUT have all traffic, routed to my internal FreeBSD box? I have
Apache running on the W2K box, which I though I could perhaps configure so
that I can do vhosts, but am not sure as to how to achieve this?

Well I hope I have made myself clear here, I myself am unsure;^(, but for
the record - the reason I have this set up is that I don't know how to
configure the ADSL modem on the FreeBSD and I don't have a static IP which
is due to the fact that BTOpenworld does not offer this for its home
service - so if any one knows of an ISP which provides an ADSL for under £40
per month with a static IP OR if there is any other way to set it up with a
limited budget;^)

Many thanks

Norman