Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:50:25 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        M+P International <sales@m-p.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bridging two ethernet networks

In the last episode (Feb 11), M+P International said:
> The person that set up our network made an error and set the internal IP's
> to 100.0.0.xxx and not to 10.0.0.xxx. This has not been a problem till now.
> I cannot just re-number because some of the old stuff has no documentation,
> so I'd like to run both 100.0.0.xxx and 192.168.1.xxx on the same network
> while I re-number what I can.
>
> So I built a bridge with 2 Intel 10/100's, added options BRIDGE and re-built
> the kernel. Both cards run in promiscuous mode, but neither network can see
> the other. I haven't implemented options IPFIREWALL yet.
> Is a bridge the right thing in this situation? Or have I just not built the
> bridge correctly? From a '100' box I get 'No route to host' when I ping a
> '192' pc. I have not given either card an IP address as suggested by the
> documentation.

You want a router, not a bridge.  If both subnets are on the same
physical ethernet, simply desgnate one of your faster machines as "the
router", add an alias IP to the 100.0.0 network on its main NIC, and
enable routing ( gateway_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf ).  If both
subnets are on different physical ethernets, then you can use your
existing machine.  Turn off bridging, assign each NIC an IP, and enable
routing.

In either case, you will want to designate your router as the default
gateway for all the PCs (using the appropriate IP depending on which
subnet the client PC is on).  The reason the '100' box gave you a "no
route to host" error is because it had no default route, so it cannot
talk to any machines not on its own subnet.  Your ping packet never
even left the machine.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com