Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 11:02:32 -0400
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel versions and config's rm -rf

<<On Sun, 24 Sep 1995 14:38:01 -0700 (MST), Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org> said:

> The reason for this behaviour in the first place was an issue of
> dependencies not being calculated correctly

There is nothing wrong with the way the dependencies are calculated,
and has not been in a long time.  The reason for that behavior is
because Jordan got tired of dealing with people who didn't clean their
kernels after changing options that have a major impact on the
generated code, then building broken kernels and calling WC to
complain.  This is the way all dependencies in any program have worked
since the dawn of time, and the appropriate solution is not to
kludge up the config program but to eliminate compilation options as
user-serviceable parts.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.