Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 23:43:42 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time_t not to change size on x86

Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Just to clarify, based on Peter's last mail.
> :
> :The proposal is not to change the size of time_t on x86, merely to
> :select a suitable size on new platforms so that we migrate in a
> :suitable fashion.
> :
> :This is fine, and a sensible idea.
>
>     No, the current proposal... the one that has the most support (even if
>     you discount me), is that we do not change time_t in 4.x, but in
>     5.x we change it to a 64 bit integer on all platforms (including IA32).

To be clear, I absolutely DO NOT support this.

>     This version has support from several camps.  A bunch of 5.x guys like
>     it because it means that all the 64 bit issues can be worked out by
>     the larger community running on standard intel platforms.  Other people
>     like it because it (obviously) solves the 2038 problem.

I do not like it because it creates **additional** problems that will
appear *only* on the i386.  -current has got enough problems without
bullet holes through the feet of the primary platform.

I'm quite happy with changing from 'int' to 'long', but *not* quad.

>     DES and I have allocated time to work on it starting mid-november.
>     Nobody else has comitted time yet.
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon@backplane.com>