Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 23:02:48 -0800
From:      "Bryan J. Tarr" <btarr@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   help with scsi tape

        I have a Connor Tapestor 4Gig SCSI tape drive.  I just put
2.1.0-951104-SNAP on my Pent 120, with an Adeptec 2940 SCSI controller.  I
have tried using tar and dd to write to the tape, however it seem to stop
working within writing 50 megs.  I looked in the handbook the backup section
and there was no information in there to help me with this problem.  What is
the proper way to backup to a SCSI tape?  What could be the problem?

I have used dd to write to the tape from /dev/zero and successfully written
up to 200megs but it seems to fail when using tar and gzip compression.
Bryan J. Tarr
Residence Network Assistant
University of Oregon Housing